A couple of weeks ago we contributed an article to SparkPeople on how to find some zen in every part of your day, and today, they’re repaying the favor with this awesome post on why home workouts rock by Jen Mueller. Get ready to get pumped to sweat it out at home.
Years ago — back when I had the flexibility to go whenever I wanted and stay for as long as I liked — I belonged to a gym. I assumed that having so much variety at my fingertips (cardio and weight machines, free weights, fitness classes) was the best way to stay in shape and see results. But that was then. Since having kids, my schedule has changed significantly. The only way I’ve continued to make exercise a consistent part of my daily routine is to squeeze in a home workout before the day begins. Interestingly, my fitness level hasn’t suffered at all. With a little creativity and a few key pieces of equipment, I’m able to do a variety of challenging workouts without having to leave home.
Whether you’re short on time, money or just aren’t interested in a gym membership, home workouts can be a great alternative to help you get in shape reach your health and fitness goals. Besides the extra money in your wallet, here are some of the other benefits of home workouts.
4 Benefits of Home Workouts
1. Time. Instead of spending 20 minutes driving to the gym and then waiting for a machine to become available, you can start your workout at a moment’s notice. Twenty minutes is just enough time to fit in a quick cardio or strength workout before moving on with your busy day.
2. Comfort. If the idea of exercising in front of others gives you anxiety, have no fear. Working out at home allows you focus on your form or flow without worrying that all eyes are on you.
3. Work at your own pace. At-home exercise videos include the same moves you would see in a gym fitness class, without the pressure to keep up in a class that’s too challenging. You can progress at the pace that works best for you.
4. Unlimited hours of operation. The gym might not open at 7 a.m. on a Sunday or stay open until 10 p.m. on Friday night, but your home is always open for business! For people with hectic schedules or irregular work hours, the flexibility of exercising when it suits their lifestyle is a major plus.
Lucky for you, the recently launched SparkPeople.TV has a number of features specifically for those who want to work up a sweat without ever leaving home. Use the Workout Finder to easily choose from more than 500 free videos, ranging from cardio and strength to yoga and meditation. Videos are five to 40 minutes in length and include beginner, intermediate and advanced workouts. Filter workouts by preferences including body part focus, your choice of trainer, limited mobility, dance, intervals and more. With a massive library of variety, you’ll never do a boring home workout again.
Certified trainers with years of experience in the fitness industry and a wide variety of expertise guide participants through every kind of exercise. Olympic athletes, celebrity trainers and renowned fitness experts motivate and push you to be your best, right in your living room. Get a taste of what you’ll experience with acclaimed instructor Kristin McGee’s calorie-burning yoga.
Plus, SparkPeople offers additional features to enhance your home workout options:
- The Workout Generator: Our exercise library has a wide variety of exercise demos that you can filter based on your fitness level, available equipment and muscles you want to work. Not sure how to put them all together to create your own routine? No worries! By answering a few simple questions, our Workout Generator will put together a program specific to your needs.
- Music playlists: Sometimes you need some motivation to get off the couch, go the extra mile or push through that heavier lift. When you really need a boost, an inspirational song can do wonders. SparkPeople’s music playlists will help you push through your workout and finish with pride.
The truth is, you don’t need an expensive gym membership or lots of fancy equipment to get a good workout. The three things you really need are consistency, challenge and variety, all of which can be achieved in the comfort of your own home. By using the resources available from SparkPeople, you’ll find the exercises, videos and answers to your questions that will help you become a stronger, healthier you!
What are your favorite home workouts? —Jen Mueller